Sunday, February 24, 2013

FHC, Jesus Fish, and the Tennessee Vols by Richard Hickam


I have a problem. It’s one I don’t like to talk about. When I’m on I-4, there is one person in scripture I can really identify with; his name is Jehu. It’s one reason I’m reluctant to put stickers on the back of my vehicle. The passage reads:

“Again the watchman reported, ‘He reached them, but he is not coming back. And the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he drives furiously.’” 2 Kings 9:20.

I was behind a vehicle near Millenia Mall the other day and snapped this picture:


I find having a Jesus fish and calling the POTUS an idiot on the back of your vehicle incompatible, no matter what type of political leaning you have (not to mention your public display of affection for the movie “Titanic”). It’s one of many reasons why people in the world find Christians to be oxymorons – publicly crying a certain kind of peace, but individually filled with hate messages.

Some time back I came to the realization of a problem with the way I was driving (I’m sure it had nothing to do with my wife’s comments). The first thing I did was pull off all identifying marks on the back of my vehicle: FHC magnet, TN Vols magnet. I then realized I was only masking the problem and not addressing a real solution. I found myself in a precarious position. I decided that this situation was out of my control and to do the only thing left in my power – let it go. That’s right, I decided I couldn’t fix it on my own and to offer it up in prayer.

I’d like to say that I no longer ease into that exit ramp lane at the last second, but what I can say is that I’ve seen a change in my behavior, and that I’m now on the road to a better experience for everyone on the journey.

So when you see my FHC magnet on the back of my vehicle, I hope it’s not a reminder of why people don’t want to associate with Christians, but a positive message of consistency in the Christian life.

Richard Hickam

No comments:

Post a Comment