Sunday, May 5, 2013

One Of "Those" Weekends by Greg Creek


This weekend was one of “those” weekends. As a minister, “those” weekends come around more often than not. They’re the weekends where events coalesce to form a perfect storm. The events spill from one to the next, sometimes overlapping until the day ends in a sudden halt where I’m so tired the bed sounds incredible, and so wired I have to unwind before I can go.

Lest anyone think I’m complaining, please know these weekends are amazing – especially this time of year. As a youth pastor, these end-of-year events aren’t typically meetings or planning sessions. These events are the culmination of a year or multiple years’ work. They are a showcase of talent or a sendoff into the next exciting journey in life.

Friday night I found myself celebrating the lives of nine high school students. The journeys they have been on are quite astounding and, hearing of their plans for next year, I can’t wait for updates. But it wasn’t just those nine students and their families.  People from the larger church body were present as well. I was able to hear funny and inspiring stories about these students. I was given access to years of memories and laughs by people readily willing to share with me.

Saturday, I spent the morning hanging out with my church, playing a piano made out of bananas. Crazy sounding, I know, but totally awesome and fun.

The afternoon, I shifted gears to celebrate the retirement of a teacher who has been in the profession for 39 years, most of them at one school. As more and more people kept pouring into the school to celebrate this man’s career, it was amazing to see all the lives that had been impacted by this educator. I was again allowed entry into a remarkable place of stories, recollections, and terrible yearbook photos.

In a few hours, I was rapt in awe as two of my students performed their end-of-year recital and then celebrated with a graduating high school senior.

This is my job, or at least the profound side of it. I am allowed entry into the accomplishments, joys, and successes of my students. This weekend was one of “those” weekends . . . and it was awesome!

Greg Creek

1 comment:

  1. Greg- you are an inspiration to so many already in this church family, even after only the short time you have been here. Thank you for being present and intentional in your ministries and friendships. You and your precious family of 3 are gems!! PTL!!

    ReplyDelete